The History of River Road Farm
Originally built in the 1790's and rumored to have been one of the northernmost “safe houses” on the Underground Railway during the Civil War.
Mr. Gilbert built his Victorian style mansion (currently the Wilburton Inn) and the Mediterranean style farm buildings to be used to breed Morgan horses, the house was used to house the farm’s caretaker,Mr.Severance. With the death of Mr. Gilbert before the farm was finished, his banker, Mr. James Wilber, took over the ownership of the property and moved his family from Chicago to take up residence in Vermont.
Following the death of Mr. Wilbur, and the start of WW2, Mrs. Wilbur and her son, James, Jr., moved from the mansion on the hill into the white colonial house nearer the Barn (currently owned and lived in by Marge Wilbur - the grand daughter in law of the original owner).
The Matsen, Insley and Charleston families all owned and lived in the house since the death of the senior Mrs. Wilbur.
The Ross family purchased the house in 2003 and physically relocated it from its original place by the road to its current location on the hill when they recognized the extraordinary view of Mt. Equinox from that vantage point.